Achieve Dental Implant Candidacy with a Sinus Lift
Patients with inadequate upper jawbone tissue may need a sinus lift before receiving dental implants. The procedure simultaneously rebuilds the upper jaw while raising the sinus membranes, creating room to safely accommodate dental implants. Once the procedure is completed, and after the bone graft becomes integrated, your dentist can perform implant placement. Doctors Khaled Eldin and Mouner Amer perform sinus lifts at their New Jersey practices to help you experience the many benefits of modern restorative dentistry.
Benefits of a Sinus Lift
A sinus lift may be recommended in order to:
- Reverse damage caused by periodontal disease or tooth loss: One of the most damaging effects of periodontal disease and tooth loss is jawbone recession. A sinus lift can resplace this lost bone tissue and restore oral health.
- Candidacy for dental implants: Patients must have adequate bone tissue to support a dental implant in the upper jaw. This procedure also prevents an implant from disturbing the soft tissues of the sinuses.
- Safe treatment: Although the term “sinus lift” sounds very invasive, the procedure is safe and frequently performed.
Am I a Candidate for a Sinus Lift?
Your doctor may recommend a sinus lift if you have suffered bone recession in the upper jaw, or if your sinus membranes naturally lay too close to the treatment site. To qualify for a sinus lift, patients should be in good health. Patients who have a chronic condition such as uncontrolled diabetes that could compromise healing may not be eligible for this procedure. Candidates for a sinus lift should:
- Not be heavy smokers
- Not be on anti-inflammatories or anticoagulants
- Understand the risks of surgery, such as infection and a failed bone graft. Trusting your care to an established and reputable practice can minimize these risks.
You can depend on us to fully assess your needs in order to determine if this procedure is right for you.
For patients who are nervous or anxious about the procedure, we offer nitrous oxide and IV sedation options to ensure you feel comfortable during treatment.
A Look at the Procedure
Sinus lift surgery is performed using local anesthesia. For patients who are nervous or anxious about the procedure, we offer nitrous oxide and IV sedation options to ensure you feel comfortable during treatment. After you are properly sedated, one of our doctors will make a small incision in the gums. The doctor will then create a small opening in your bone to gain access to the sinus membranes. He will then place grafting material. The grafting material will raise your sinus membrane while fortifying the overall structure of your jaw. Once the surgery is complete, the incision will be closed with sutures.
During recovery, patients should:
- Apply ice packs to reduce swelling
- Avoid strenuous activities for a week or more
- Eat a soft diet for several days following surgery
- Be gentle when brushing near the incision site
- Take medications as directed
Contact Our Office Today
Many patients require a bone graft or sinus lift to achieve eligibility for dental implants. If you are ready to learn more about your eligibility for dental implants and the treatments that may be necessary in order to help you take advantage of this solution, contact our office online or call our office nearest you.